Sunday, August 31, 2008

International Conservation Photography Awards



Fire Mountain, Mount St.Helens Glowing Dome from Crater Rim. Mount St.Helens National Volcanic Monument


I recently entered the ICPawards photography contest and my image, "Fire Mountain," was selected as the Landscape Winner. What an honor it was to win the award and meet Art Wolfe, the founder of the competition. The competition drew many exceptional photographers from around the world. It was great to meet some of them at the awards ceremony the other night up in Seattle. From August 30-October 12, my image, along with the other winning photographs will be on display at the Museum of History and Industry in Seattle, Washington.

This image of Mount St.Helens was made at the tail end of a 3 1/2 year eruptive phase that began in September of 2004. During this time, The Mountain produced many spectacular steam and ash eruptions and built a massive lava dome.

It took a few different tries to make this image. My first attempt was in July of 2006 when I climbed to the summit at night and made the image "Breathing Dragon." While I was happy with the shot, I felt there needed to be more detail in the shadows. September of the following year I made a second night climb to the summit. The dome had crumbled a bit and the amount of magma rising up from underneath the mountain had decreased. I spent all night making exposures of different lengths. Using my 50mm 1.4 lens set to 2.8, I exposed several frames for 30minutes. "Fire Mountain" was my favorite of the bunch.

No comments: