Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Published Work

The Forest Service, in partnership with the Pacific Crest Trail Association, recently completed Northern Sierra, Map#5 of the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail. After their ambitious project of mapping the entire trail is finished there will be 10 maps covering its entire 2650 mile length from Mexico to Canada. On the cover is a photo I made while thru-hiking the PCT in 2003. I stopped and made camp here so I could photograph this hillside of Balsamroot and Lupine with the pointy spires of Sierra Buttes in the distance. I was well short of my 20 mi goal for the day but this scene was simply too pretty to pass up. This section of the PCT is where the rugged Sierra Nevada gradually transition into the Cascade Mountains. It is here that polished granite, scraped clean from the retreating glaciers of the last ice age, gives way to lava rock and volcanoes. It is a beautiful section of trail.

No comments: