Friday, April 27, 2012

Amazing Steens

My recent trail running adventure on the east side of Steens Mountain in southeast Oregon. It's hard to believe the Secretary of the Interior recently approved a plan allowing a developer to build up to 70 wind turbines and a high-capacity transmission line not very far from this beautiful place. It makes my heart sink to think about it. The Oregon Natural Desert Association (ONDA) and the Audubon Society of Portland are challenging the decision.

An amazing view looking into the glacially carved interior of Steens Mountain, as seen from a ridge high above the Alvord Desert. As a storm approached from the west, small lenticular clouds began spinning off the main front and floating over the snowcapped summit to my north. To give the scene some scale I set my camera to a 10 second timer and scrambled as fast as I could to this large rock. Olympus E-PM1, Olympus M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R @ 14mm, F11, 1/1320 sec, ISO 200  ©Tyson Fisher

An amazing view looking into the glacially carved interior of Steens Mountain, as seen from a ridge high above the Alvord Desert. As a storm approached from the west, small lenticular clouds began spinning off the main front and floating over the snowcapped summit to my north. Olympus E-PM1, Olympus M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R @ 24mm, F8, 1/1500 sec, ISO 200  ©Tyson Fisher
On my descent this small disc shaped lenticular cloud drifted over the distant playa lake bed near Mickey Basin. To me it almost appeared as though the cloud was rising up out of the lake. I was running with my camera in hand and was able to quickly snap this image before the cloud lost some of its form as it drifted on. Olympus E-PM1, Olympus M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R @ 35mm, F8, 1/1500 sec, ISO 200  ©Tyson Fisher
On my descent I stopped to shoot this scene as sunset cast a warm glow on the ridgeline east of the Alvord Desert. Olympus E-PM1, Olympus M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R @ 42mm, F8, 1/60 sec, ISO 200  ©Tyson Fisher
Coffee on the Playa, Alvord Desert, Oregon Olympus E-PM1, Olympus M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R @ 14mm, F10, 1/640 sec, ISO 200  ©Tyson Fisher

2 comments:

Waylon said...

I really like all of the pictures. I love that place, you should go out there when they have all of the gliders flying around. I bet you could get some awesome shots. I bet you could get free flights with them as well. See ya in a few weeks.

Tyson Fisher said...

Thanks Waylon. I'd love to get an aerial perspective of this place. I've seen them land on the summit before. See you in a couple weeks.